Friday, March 25, 2011

Today I will switch from automatic to manual...

I have be postponing making the switch for too long now. Perhaps with pregnancy I didn't have the capacity for new information. So today is the day I make the big switch. I have a vague understanding of photography terms having worked as a designer for years and often helping a photographer for a shoot. Also, being immersed in photoshop for years helps too. But it is still a big leap for me....this is my thoughts for today...

Trial and Error...I have to see to learn. Reading my book is great - but until I try it myself it does not stick.

Know my Camera...how do they do it, quickly changing White balance, ISO etc...I have to practice so I can do this quickly like a magician.

Anyone else making this journey to manual? I will post some experiments on here...hopefully along with the settings I used. Any tips, critiques would be great!

I am using a Canon Rebel XTi basic 18-55mm lens.

5 comments:

  1. I just switched in January...I still MANY MANY awful pictures but the ones that turn out are SO much better than what I got on automatic. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. how exciting - we can compare notes! What are you using to learn?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done for making the switch, I'm like that, I need to apply the knowledge for it to stick, be great to see your images.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats Heather! I remember after i first got my dslr, i used it on P for the entire year before i switched to manual. yep i had a lot of bad pics to start with, but it is an exciting journey! GL!

    ReplyDelete